Day 2 - Art Institute and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!

We awoke to foggy glum. I (D) realized I'd forgotten to pack a pair of black trousers to go with all the black and white shirts on hand. J and K met S while I walked up to Marshall's. We agreed to meet at Art Institute ("AI") later. Nice to have cell phones!

We were impressed by the flowers planted in the middle of the sidewalks.


There is a way to get this lion to "call" you but I couldn't figure it out on my tracfone!

With thanks to a wonderful volunteer at the front desk, and the computer, I was able to locate all of the John Singer Sargent works on display. Also a Sorolla! AI is huge and some areas can be reached by certain elevators. This was true of the American section (Pink area on the plan: http://www.artic.edu/sites/default/files/AIC_visitor_guide.pdf ). 









Here's Sorolla. I forgot to take a photo--took this from online. It is large IRL!

S in her apartment!

It took about an hour to see the Sargent works. My next stop was the Chagall windows. I'm trying very hard to appreciate abstract works. At this point, I'm ready for a coffee so call my pals and we meet at one of the 3 places to eat. This cafe is in the lowest level and opens to McKinlock Court. You pass by the Chagall windows. The Caffe Moderno is on level 2; and Terzo Piano is on the 3rd. Do study the map (or get directions) to get to Terzo Piano.



S went to classes, and J, K and I had drinks and discussed the rest of the day. We all had more places to see in AI so we agreed to meet back at the room. K and I will be attending a recording of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" tonight. I took another hour to visit Impressionists and some contemporary works. Then headed for Terza Piano: 

Papparadelle with corn, beef cheeks, pancetta and seared ricotta cheese.

From there, I walked along the Piano bridge to Millennium Park. Thanks for Fodor's friends for recommending this:






As I point towards the hotel, I pass the "Bean" (Cloud Gate is the actual name of this sculpture). 
Taken by J from under the Bean.

Taken by D through the leaves.

K, J and S

Taken by D as she passed.

At the hotel, K and D get a free drink,


some hummus and chips before cabbing to the Chase Bank Auditorium. Below is shot of the set. Even though we are there from 7 - 9:30, the actual show lasts one hour.  To hear this show, you can go to 

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/344098539/wait-wait-don-t-tell-me

and click on the October 5 podcast.

After the show, we cabbed back and stopped at Whole Foods across the street and grabbed bbq chicken carryout.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going Home

Day 1 We Leave DC Behind

Day 4 - Field Musuem